Tonderai Chavhanga is disappointed that he won’t be touring Australasia with the South African Tri-Nations rugby team but he has wished the Springboks well.
“Someone had to stay behind,” the Stormers speedster said after learning that he had not been included in the 28-strong Springbok squad chosen to leave for New Zealand this week.
“I’ll link up with the Western Province squad now,” he said. “I enjoy the WP setup.”
Stephen Nell writes in Die Burger that Chavhanga did not maintain his good Super 14 form when he played against Wales recently and Odwa Ndungane took his place for last week’s Test against Italy.
JP Pietersen, who did well in the World Cup tournament last year, has been selected ahead of Chavhanga for the Tri-Nations team.
Chavhanga said on Tuesday he won’t be out to prove anything now but he was still setting his sights high.
“I found it difficult to make my mark against Wales because of the old laws that were applied. The ball was not taken out wide,” he explained.
“Under the experimental laws (that were used in the Super 14 series) the inside backs have more time to distribute the ball.
“Wales also used rush defence, which limited the space.
“When you’re not really involved in the game and you make mistakes, they seem to be so much bigger in the eyes of the spectators.”
Most of the Springbok will leave for New Zealand on Thursday. The rest of the tour group will depart on Friday.
The team’s media liaison official, Chris Hewitt, has been replaced for the tour by the experienced Rayaan Adriaanse.
The change came about after Springbok coach Peter de Villiers had complained in front of journalists last week that Hewitt was absent when a news conference was about to begin.Tweet