After such a horribly depressing set of results last week, it’s time to look to the action ahead over the next two days. More in vain hope than with any real conviction that any of them will come true, here follow my ten wishes for this rugby weekend.
1) Waylon Murray must score a try. Any try. Just one. It doesn’t need to be a superb, long-range effort that demonstrates his dazzling arsenal of skills and pace. No, even if he just bashes over from 3m out, or flops over on the end of a Keegan Daniel pass, it really doesn’t matter. Just one little try from a man whose 2008 season is going from bad to worse.
2) The Sharks must see off the Valke, with a bonus point, without at any stage looking like they’re going to lose the game. The time for excuses is over and it’s time for class to show through.
3) I would really like Johann Muller to play a proper captain’s innings tonight. The Sharks skipper is a far better player than he looks at the moment and I would like to see him spur his team on to an emphatic victory. Man of the match would be nice.
4) One more for the Sharks, because I’m greedy: I’d like Chris Jordaan and Wes Bodmer to play like the Natal wings of old. Show us pace, show us guile and show us that absolute certainty that you’re going to beat your man and score. You know, the sort we haven’t seen since the days of James Small. A little bit of much-vaunted Michalak Magic in the second half would also go down a treat.
5) I’d like Griquas to, if not beat Province, then at least give them a good fright. The men from Kimberly have been on the verge of showing, for some time now, that they have a legitimate right to be counted among the “big six” in SA Rugby. Their performance this season have been awful, though and the Currie Cup is the poorer for that.
6) Free State, please just stuff the Bulls, ok? Just for the sheer “lekkerkry” thereof.
7) I wish that Peter de Villiers would just stop talking. Nobody in the world is more behind this guy than I am; he’s the right man at the right time for the most difficult job in rugby. He’s not making it any easier on himself, though and he’s making himself sound stupid. Please, Pete, just stop saying the things you’re saying already. Even better, get a media liaison on board and fast?
8) I would like Victor Matfield to stand up and show us that he has even a little bit of the character, passion and charisma of the great Bok captains of old. Just a little something, please Vic, to show us that you deserve this great honour, cos right now, I ain’t seen shit!
9) Bismarck du Plessis needs to finally take the step up in the way we all know he’s capable of taking it. Bissie, keep your cool, find your jumpers and score a try, just to put those All Blacks bastards back in their place.
10) Would a first-ever Bok win at Carisbrook really be pushing it?
I’ll do a post-mortem on Monday. How many do you think will come true?Tweet