Something that McLovin mentioned got me interested, so I went and did a little research to see if I could assemble the heaviest Bok team ever. The results are pretty interesting…
As always, I need to give all the credit to the excellent Springbok Rugby Hall of Fame. That site truly is a goldmine and I urge you all to visit it as often as possible.
Now, the side I’ve put together here is obviously not one that ever played together. What I did was to find the heaviest person to represent the Springboks (in a test) in each position, obviously making sure that no name appears twice. As tempting as it would be to pick Danie Rossouw in all three of the loose forward positions, it just wouldn’t be fair to do so!
In a few cases, there were clear ties. I’ll mention those as well. Here is the team:
1. Guy Kebble – 130 kg.
2. John Smit – 116kg.
3. Flip vd Merwe – 133kg. (*I could not find an accurate weight for Tommie Laubscher.)
4. Geo Cronje/Hottie Louw/Bakkies Botha – all 120 kg. (Kobus Wiese and Philip Schutte miss out by 200g each!)
5. Vleis Visagie – 135kg.
6. Robbie Brink – 113kg.
7. FC Smit – 115kg.
8. Danie Rossouw – 120kg.
9. Ruan Pienaar – 90kg (Robert du Preez weighs in at a fraction under 90)
10. Butch James/Braam van Straaten – 100kg (Frans Steyn has been used at fullback, but weighs the same)
11. Dean Hall – 101kg (Still our heaviest wing ever)
12. Trevor Halstead – 105kg.
13. Waylon Murray – 105kg.
14. Jean de Villiers – 98kg.
15. Frans Steyn – 100kg.
That’s a pretty formidable starting lineup. Average weight amongst the forwards is a staggering 122.75kg. The backs weigh in at just a shade under 100kg on average. Total weight of the pack is 982kg! The average weight across the entire team is 112kg!
We can add a pretty hefty bench as well. Something like this:
16. Bismarck du Plessis – 112kg.
17. Os du Randt – 127 kg.
18. Geo Cronje/Hottie Louw/Bakkies Botha – all 120 kg.
19. AJ Venter – 112kg.
20. Robert du Preez – 90-ish kg.
21. Butch James/Braam van Straaten – 100kg.
22. Tinus Delport – 98kg.
Pretty good combo, don’t you think?Tweet