KSA Shark ©

Mujati’s agent – WP unlikely to match Saints’ offer


Written by Andre Bosch (KSA Shark ©)

Posted in :In the news, Stormers, Super 14 on 12 May 2009 at 15:45
Tagged with : , , , ,

It is “unlikely” that Western Province Rugby would be able to match the substantial offer Springbok prop Brian Mujati has from English Premiership club Northampton Saints.

This is the view of Mujati’s agent, Jason Smith, who told rugby365.com that the main motivating factors are “financial” and the fact that Mujati’s wife is English.

Smith confirmed that the Zimbabwean-born front row forward, who turns 25 in September this year, has signed a two-year deal with the Saints.

Asked if there has been a counter offer from WP Rugby yet, Smit offered a terse “no”, but added that they do have the right to match the offer.

However, the agent wasn’t very optimistic about an offer forthcoming from Newlands.

“I don’t think they will [make a counter offer],” Smith said, adding: “It is quite a substantial amount [in Pound Stirling] and it would be very difficult to match that in [South African] Rands.”

Mujati, who played in 12 Tests last year, currently doesn’t have a Springbok contract and Smith said they have not chatted to Bok coach Peter de Villiers about Mujati’s Bok prospects.

“I have got no interest in talking to Peter de Villiers,” Smith told rugby365, adding that the prop’s contractual obligations to WP and the Stormers are till the end of October.

It has been reported that Mujati has realised that he is out of favour at Bok level at the moment.

After being part of the squad and starting in two of the 12 Tests last year, coming on as replacement in 10 others, he was overlooked for Jannie du Plessis in the final Test of the year-end tour against England at Twickenham.

He has also not had a good Super 14 campaign.

He has struggled with concussion and only made his comeback to the Stormers side last week, after sitting out three matches.

“He [Mujati] is expected in Northampton on November 1,” the agent said, adding that the only thing which can stop him from leaving South Africa is if WP Rugby reserve their right to match the Saints offer.

“As I said, it is unlikely [they'll match the offer," Smith concluded.

Rob Wagner, the MD of WP Rugby (Pty) Ltd, said they don't know yet exactly what the Northampton offer is.

"Rassie [Erasmus, the Director of Rugby] deals directly with the players,” Wagner told rugby365.

“Once he has something in place, he will come back to me and we will make a call. At this stage it is impossible to say if we’ll make a counter offer,” Wagner added.

Northampton declined to confirm or deny the report, saying they don’t react to media articles.

Reports also have it that Bok centre Gcobani Bobo may also leave Cape Town, as he has received a number of offers from overseas clubs.



11 Comments

  • BYE BYE… We will miss you :twisted:

  • Comment 1, posted at 12.05.09 15:55:33 by Rahul Reply
    RahulCurrie Cup player
     
  • In our company our MD has a “The Bucks stops here” policy.

    Wagner seems to have a “Here we pass the buck” policy.

  • Comment 2, posted at 12.05.09 15:58:13 by KSA Shark © Reply
    KSA Shark ©Head Coach
     
  • “I don’t think they will [make a counter offer],” Smith said, adding: “It is quite a substantial amount [in Pound Stirling] and it would be very difficult to match that in [South African] Rands.”

    Above is the reason for:

    “I have got no interest in talking to Peter de Villiers,” Smith told rugby365

    hy sien net ponde signs..

  • Comment 3, posted at 12.05.09 16:00:37 by Prof. Ice Reply
    Competition Winner Author
    IceAssistant coach
     
  • Who’s Brian Mujati :?: :mrgreen:

  • Comment 4, posted at 12.05.09 16:01:49 by rekinek Reply
    Competition WinnerCompetition Winner Author
    rekinekTeam captain
     
  • @rekinek (Comment 4) : :lol: :lol: :lol:

  • Comment 5, posted at 12.05.09 16:03:37 by Rahul Reply

    RahulCurrie Cup player
     
  • “I have got no interest in talking to Peter de Villiers,” Smith told rugby365

    That the spirit mate, “steek jou eie gat toe”. Plonker.

    on the plus side it is good to see an agent admit openly that he has no interest in the National interest only his own bankbalance. :evil: no need for pretence anymore.

  • Comment 6, posted at 12.05.09 16:05:59 by KSA Shark © Reply

    KSA Shark ©Head Coach
     
  • @KSA Shark © (Comment 6) : they are professionals after all :mrgreen:

  • Comment 7, posted at 12.05.09 16:10:16 by rekinek Reply
    Competition WinnerCompetition Winner Author
    rekinekTeam captain
     
  • @KSA Shark © (Comment 6) : Why worry, the commision are in the bag…£££££££££

  • Comment 8, posted at 12.05.09 16:12:48 by Charlie Reply

    CharlieSuper Rugby player
     
  • @rekinek (Comment 7) : :smile:

    Agreed.

    For this guy to utter something like that is just plain DOF!!!!! He is only making life difficult for himslef in the future. it’s a good thing he is a player agent becasue he sure as hell sucks at diplomacy and Public relations.

  • Comment 9, posted at 12.05.09 16:14:19 by KSA Shark © Reply

    KSA Shark ©Head Coach
     
  • Citing farce produces another shocker :evil: :evil: :evil:

    by Dan Retief | 12 May 2009 (16:01)

    The Super 14’s citing farce will be held up for more ridicule following a ruling to ban Cheetahs scrumhalf Tewis de Bruyn for three weeks because of a dangerous tackle committed in the weekend’s game against the Bulls at Loftus.

    Coming hard on the heels of Waratahs scrumhalf Brett Sheehan being let off scot-free for a shoulder charge on Brad Barritt which, to most viewers, seemed to have been committed with an element of intent the verdict on De Bruyn is going to convince local followers that when it comes to the citing procedure there is something rotten in the process.
    De Bruyn, who up-ended Akona Ndungane as he bent low for, and then straightened up, in a tackle came before SANZAR Judicial Officer advocate Jannie Lubbe in Bloemfontein on Tuesday.

    The player had been contrite immediately after one of those unavoidable incidents but was nevertheless handed a three-week suspension. In spite of being yellow-carded by referee Stuart Dickinson he was cited for a dangerous tackle after the match

    According to a statement from SA Rugby, “the Judicial Officer reviewed the available video evidence and the reports by the referee and assistant referee.

    “Lubbe also heard evidence from the player, the head coach and a referee – Jaco Peyper. (He) concluded that the incident should be categorised as a dangerous tackle at mid entry level which carries a sanction of six weeks suspension.

    “After taking into account the relevant mitigating circumstances, De Bruyn was suspended from all rugby for a period of three weeks from 9 May 2009 until and including 30 May 2009.”

    The statement added that “De Bruyn has the right to appeal the suspension.”

  • Comment 10, posted at 12.05.09 16:24:23 by Charlie Reply

    CharlieSuper Rugby player
     
  • I don’t think this is a massive loss, he game with a glowing first season CV and sucked from there on… a couple ofyears in NH conditions should actually turn him into a prop….hopefully a decent one. At which point WP will buy him as his carrer ends.

    Well that how it seems to go.

  • Comment 11, posted at 13.05.09 10:02:17 by Worcestershire Sauce Reply
    Author
    Worcestershire SauceCurrie Cup player
     

Add Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.