Some more thoughts on the Super 14 this weekend:
* Pierre Spies is not human.
* Morne Steyn is.
* Fourie du Preez (and Ruan Pienaar for that matter) would do well to spend less time flailing their arms in horror and more time providing crisp delivery to their flyhalves. We don’t need football-type behaviour in rugby. Joost invented it, Georgie Gregan perfected it, and I don’t like it. It’s not a million miles from there to the English footballer’s trick of taking a dive.
* The hottest pre-match dancers are in Joburg.
* The person I would least like to tackle in the whole world is Sione Lauaki.
* I refuse to call Ellis Park “Coca Cola Park”. It’s ridiculous and disrespectful to one of the world’s great sporting venues.
* Herkie “Vitamin S” Kruger looked better than Carlos Spencer when he came off the bench.
* Stuart Dickinson remains the worst ref in the modern game, and is very close to Clive Norling on the all time list.
* If defence wins world cups, all the SA teams’ missed tackle counts are a bit of a cause for concern.
* Ben Alexander is comfortably the best prop in the world at the moment. SA doesn’t have a prop near him. I’m sure he must have been born in Bloemfontein. No wait, then he’d be playing in Durban now.
* Once again the Kiwi commentators are the best. The Aussie ones are cycloptic halfwits with one hand on their gentlemen’s bits when the home team does well. And the SA ones are either drunk (Hugh Bladen), monumentally useless (Joel Stransky), or thorough unprofessional and amateurish (all the rest except Andy Capostagno and Bob Skinstad). It can’t be that difficult to get knowledgeable commentators, can it?
* My team is so bad I think the Lions would beat us.
* The Stormers have the best backs in the comp. If they ditched Naqelevuki and got Joe Pietersen back, they’d be even better.
* The Aussie teams are playing above their weight, and most of their really exciting players are the young ones. This does not bode well for SA and NZ next year.