Springbok coach Peter de Villiers might have the ‘full support’ of his South African Rugby bosses, but he is in hot water with SANZAR over his recent media outbursts.
SANZAR – the organisation that controls competitions between teams from South Africa, New Zealand and Australia – on Thursday issued a notice of alleged misconduct against the Bok coach.
Rugby 365 reports that this follows comments he made on Australia’s Fox Sports ‘Rugby Club’ programme on July 21.
De Villiers intimated that referees were biased against his team, although he later attempted to retract his statement – suggesting that he was misinterpreted.
“I’ve got my own observations about the last two Tests, and maybe I can’t say it in public, but we do have a World Cup in New Zealand next year and maybe it was the right thing for them to win the games so they can attract more people to the games next year,” he said on Australian television. (Read about his outburst here!)
SANZAR wrote to SA Rugby on July 22 in relation to the comments.
Having discussed the matter with De Villiers on his return to South Africa after last weekend’s Tri-Nations match against Australia, the South African Rugby Union this week provided a response to SANZAR bosses.
However, SANZAR have still opted to proceed with disciplinary action against the Bok coach.
“Having considered the response from South Africa we have determined that Peter de Villiers’ comments may constitute a breach of the SANZAR Code of Conduct and warrant further consideration by a SANZAR Judicial Officer,” said SANZAR Chief Executive Steve Tew.
A SANZAR appointed Judicial Officer will conduct a hearing in the next week with details to be advised.
SARU, in response to the SANZAR statement, said it “notes” the allegation of misconduct brought by SANZAR against the Springbok coach.
“SARU will make no further comment until the judicial process has run its course,” the statement read.
Earlier on Thursday De Villiers met SARU officials in Cape Town, at the request of the Chairman of the SARU Technical Committee, James Stoffberg.
After the meeting SARU said in a statement that the Bok boss had their “full support” and they were confident of the Springboks getting back on track – on the field.Tweet