Tahs win in the wet

Written by Rob Otto (robdylan)

Posted in :In the news on 7 Mar 2008 at 16:23
Tagged with : , ,

Lote Tuqiri and Dean Mumm scored breakaway tries in the second half of a rain-drenched Super 14 rugby match on Friday to give the New South Wales Waratahs a 24-17 win over the ACT Brumbies.

Report courtesy

The Brumbies scored 17 points in a 13-minute spell immediately before halftime to turn a 10-0 deficit into a 17-10 lead at the break but New South Wales turned the game with a disciplined effort in the second spell.

Tuqiri latched onto a juggled pass in midfield in the 46th minute to dash 40 meters under the post for a try, converted by Kurtley Beale, which tied the scores 17-17.

Replacement Mumm then charged down a clearing kick from ACT flyhalf Christian Leali’ifano, recovered the bouncing ball and sprinted over between the posts in the 62nd minute for what proved to be the deciding score.

The opening whistle was a signal for the skies to open, and the game took place in a constant deluge.

The rain placed a premium on the control of possession and it was the Waratahs, with a more measured gameplan and greater discipline, who eked out a narrow win.

“It was a good gutsy win in those conditions,” New South Wales captain Phil Waugh said.

“It was all about playing from corner to corner and getting as much field position as possible. We did that pretty well but are still a few areas we can improve on.”

Young flyhalf Kurtley Beale played a key role as New South Wales gained a 10-0 lead after 27 minutes. He faked an attempted field goal from an attacking ruck in the 21st minute, shrugged off the defense and timed his pass to centre Tom Carter who touched down under the posts for his first Super 14 try.

Beale was taken out by ACT centre Tyrone Smith in the 27th minute. Smith received a yellow card and Beale jumped to his feet to kick to the goal which extended New South Wales’ lead to 10-0.

ACT were goaded into action and scored 10 points despite Smith being sin binned. Julian Salvi skirted a scrum and drove over on the blindside in the 31st minute for a try, converted from the sideline by Matt Gerrard.

Gerrard kicked a penalty to tie the scores in the 31st minute, then Smith returned from the bin to play a part in an injury time try to Peter Playford which put the Brumbies seven points ahead at halftime.

The Waratahs played a cool-headed game in the second half, kicking for position and retaining possession with more assurance than the Brumbies in a game of turnovers.

New South Wales 24 (Tom Carter, Lote Tuqiri, Dean Mumm tries; Kurtley Beale 3 conversions, penalty), ACT 17 (Julian Salvi, Peter Playford tries; Mark Gerrard 2 conversions, penalty). HT, 10-17.

1 Comment

  • Wet????

    That’s a bit of an understatement!!!!!!!!!

    They were playing rugby in the shower cubicle.

  • Comment 1, posted at 07.03.08 18:52:15 by KSA Shark © Reply
    KSA Shark ©

Add Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.