KSA Shark ©

Brumbies win ugly over Cheetahs

Written by Andre Bosch (KSA Shark ©)

Posted in :Cheetahs, In the news, Super 14 on 21 Mar 2008 at 14:17
Tagged with :

The Brumbies revived their Super 14 finals hopes with a desperately-needed 29-23 bonus-point victory over the Cheetahs at Canberra Stadium.

Foxsport reports that the Brumbies climbed above the New South Wales and South Africa’s Stormers into sixth place on the ladder after recovering from a 13-12 halftime deficit to snap a two-match losing streak.

But victory came at a cost, with goalkicking fullback Mark Gerrard limping off in the closing stages with a leg injury.

The Brumbies already have Wallabies stars Stirling Mortlock, Adam Ashley-Cooper and Clyde Rathbone on the sidelines, plus the career-ending brain tumour to Julian Huxley.

Now Gerrard is tipped to miss at least two games, further depleting the Brumbies backline.

With the bye next week, Brumbies coach Laurie Fisher said beating the winless Cheetahs was “non-negotiable” but the match was in the balance until midway through the second half.

A Gerrard penalty goal in the 53rd minute nudged the Brumbies ahead 15-13 before centre Tyrone Smith displayed some brilliant footwork to beat five defenders and cross six minutes later.

Gerrard’s conversion gave the Brumbies some breathing space at 22-13 and lock Mitchell Chapman relieved all pressure when he took a great one-handed pass from Julian Salvi to score his side’s fourth try in the 64th minute.

The Cheetahs rallied to secure a bonus point themselves with a try to replacement halfback Tewis de Bruyn and a penalty after the bell to Jacques-Louis Potgieter to close the gap to less than seven points.

A penalty goal on the stroke of halftime to flyhalf Conrad Barnard nudged the South Africans in front by a point, despite the home team posting two tries to one in the first 40 minutes.

Barnard opened the scoring with a penalty in the eighth minute before Brumbies lock Mark Chisholm broke the Cheetahs’ defence and showed great pace to run 30 metres and score in the left corner five minutes later.

Gerrard’s conversion gave the Brumbies a 7-3 lead, only for the Cheetahs to regain the advantage with a fine try to winger Jongi Nokwe in the 23rd minute.

Barnard added the extras to make it 10-7 before the Brumbies struck back in the 32nd minute after some intelligent play from halfback Josh Holmes.

From a penalty 10 metres out from the Cheetahs line, Holmes took a quick tap and spread the ball wide and some good hands from No.8 Stephen Hoiles put winger Peter Playford over in the right-hand corner.

The Brumbies were ahead again, but Barnard had the final say of the half as the last-placed Cheetahs set their sights on their first win of the season.

Alas, it was not to be as the Brumbies lifted their game in the second stanza.

Fisher gave his Brumbies a “pass mark” for their indifferent performance.

“It’s a bonus point and that’s what you’re looking for in this competition,” he said.

“We’ve still got some young boys out there and it was a fantastic experience for them.

“They did some good things. They did some not-so-good things, but we’ll take the win and we’ll look at the areas we need to improve.

“The lineout was certainly disappointing tonight, but again the character of the team (was great).”


  • Superrugby have a different view on the match.

    Canberra curse sinks Cheetahs

    Referee Steve Walsh’s oversensitivity cost the Cheetahs dearly as they went down 29-23 to the Brumbies in their Vodacom Super 14 match played in Canberra on Friday.

    New Zealander Walsh took exception to some strong language uttered by Falie Oelschig, after the official had failed to award his team a penalty for something going on in a ruck, and sent the Cheetahs’ scrumhalf to the sinbin.

    The incident occurred in the 56th minute with the Brumbies, who had trailed 12-13 at the break, leading 15-13 and in the ten minutes that Oelschig was off the field the Brumbies scored two converted tries to jump to 29-13 and put victory out of reach of the visitors.

    The Cheetahs, who appeared to be flagging as the game moved into the last quarter, found extra impetus as their reserves came on and constructed a try for Tewis de Bruyn but it was too much to do and they suffered yet another close defeat — a penalty by JL Potgieter giving them a bonus point after the final hooter had sounded.

    Following the Brumbies’ complaints about South African referee Willie Roos the week before, Steve Walsh had a big influence on the game and it was obvious that he had the Cheetahs puzzled as to what was permissible, and what was not, at the break-down.

    In the final analysis, though, the “Baby” Brumbies fully deserved the victory they were able to present to skipper George Smith in his 100th game of Super Rugby thanks to their more efficient execution and better vision.

    The Brumbies constructed four excellent tries to earn the bonus point; often taking advantage of the Cheetahs’ brittle midfield defence that really should have been repaired by now.

    The Cheetahs suffered their sixth defeat in a row, in which they have collect five bonus points for finishing within seven points of the winners, and their dissatisfaction with the referee would have been tempered by the return of Springbok prop CJ van der Linde, who came into the fray in the first half, ahead of their final match on tour against the Waratahs in Sydney next Friday.

    Scorers were:

    Brumbies (12) 29: Tries by Mark Chisholm (12 min), Peter Playford (31 min), Tyrone Smith (59 min), Mitchell Chapman (65 min). Mark Gerrard kicked three conversions and a penalty.

    Cheetahs (13) 23: Try by Jongi Nokwe (23 min). Conrad Barnard kicked a conversion and two penalties and JL Potgieter a conversion and a penalty.

  • Comment 1, posted at 21.03.08 14:21:01 by KSA Shark © Reply
    KSA Shark ©
  • second time that indiscipline by Oehlshig has cost the Cheetahs a match.

  • Comment 2, posted at 21.03.08 17:07:09 by robdylan Reply
    Competition Winner Administrator
  • True but Walsh played his part in this one. Revenge on the Cheetahs for all the Kiwis that paid money for the Saders v Cheetahs game?? And I doubt if there was swearing direct at Walsh, I have never heard of a game where there is not any swearing so Mr. Walsh – give yourself un uppercut!

    PS: Don’t like Oelshig and his shenanigans 👿

  • Comment 3, posted at 21.03.08 17:19:45 by JT Reply

  • If I got a YC for swearing I would never have played more than 10min 😈 😕

  • Comment 4, posted at 21.03.08 17:21:49 by JT Reply

  • Feel sorry for the Cheetahs.

  • Comment 5, posted at 22.03.08 20:58:35 by racheltjiedebeer Reply


Add Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.