Hertford Highlander

Match Report – Reds blown away by Hurricanes’

Written by Gwyn Pratley (Hertford Highlander)

Posted in :All Blacks, In the news, RWC 2011, Super Rugby, Tri Nations, Wallabies on 1 May 2011 at 02:04
Tagged with : , , , , , ,

Rugby Heaven reports Aaron Cruden was the toast of Wellington last night after slotting a penalty in the dying seconds to give the Hurricanes an unbelievable win over competition front-runners, the Reds, at Westpac Stadium in Wellington.

The result, which had seemed so unlikely in the last 10 minutes as they trailed their highly fancied rivals by one point, was the perfect way to toast skipper Andrew Hore, who was celebrating his 100th Super Rugby game for the franchise.

Reds winger Digby Ioane could be in hot water after tweeting ”The worst ref ever!!!!!” following the loss.

This is is not the powerhouse Hurricanes of old, it is Mark Hammett’s ailing franchise which had only won two games this season and had leaked more than 40 points in their past two matches.

Before this match, the Reds were the toast of Australian rugby – or even the whole competition. Having won seven successive matches and been marshalled around the field by the mercurial first-five Quade Cooper, this was their chance to swoop into New Zealand’s capital and take maximum points.

The Hurricanes, though, had other ideas and finally gave them something to cheer about in front of a sparse crowd of 8780.

Not that many were smiling less than two minutes into the match when Will Chambers made a mockery of the home side’s defensive line, leading to a simple try for No. 8 Scott Higginbotham.

But while the visitors looked good in attack, their frailties at lineout time allowed the Hurricanes to come back. Starting hooker James Hanson, who lost three lineouts on his throw, was pulled from the ground before half-time, but not before the damage was done.

One of his wobblier throws after 13 minutes opened the door for the hosts to score their first try when, in the ensuing play, flanker Faifili Levave charged over, much to the surprise of the home crowd.

Cruden made up for an early penalty miss to slip through a gap and score his side’s second try after a penalty at the scrum.

The momentum began to turn and Andre Taylor and giant prop Neemia Tialata both crossed the line before half-time to put the Hurricanes in control.

Trailing 22-5 at the break, most sides would have given up and gone home. Not the Reds.

Cooper’s pinpoint cross-field bomb went straight into the arms of winger Luke Morahan, who easily scored. Cooper – who else? – then slotted a long-range penalty to close the gap further.

Cruden kicked a penalty, but another three-pointer to Cooper followed by Morahan’s second try in the 64th minute suddenly had the visitors within two points.

Cooper then nailed another penalty with eight minutes left to put the Reds ahead.

As time ticked away, Cruden found himself the unlikeliest of heroes by snapping the ball through the posts with a well-poised penalty as the siren went.

HURRICANES 28 (Aaron Cruden, Faifili Levave, Andre Taylor, Neemia Tialata tries Cruden con 2 pens) bt QUEENSLAND REDS 26 (Luke Morahan 2, Scott Higginbotham tries Quade Cooper con 3 pens)

Referee: Keith Brown


  • Great result for the Stormers this. 😎 😈

  • Comment 1, posted at 01.05.11 10:29:41 by McLovin Reply
  • Hope they blow away the Blues next week as well.

  • Comment 2, posted at 01.05.11 10:31:16 by McLovin Reply
  • Good result for the sharks.unexpected,though.

  • Comment 3, posted at 01.05.11 15:52:16 by bergshark Reply

Add Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.