Richard Ferguson

Sharks U21’s hold off Western Province

Written by Richard Ferguson (Richard Ferguson)

Posted in :Currie Cup, Original Content, Sharks, WP on 1 Oct 2011 at 16:22
Tagged with : , , , , , ,

The Sharks U21 team managed to beat a strong Western Province outfit by 23 – 17 on a windy Saturday afternoon, after leading 17 – 5 at half time. Despite having to make the most tackles on the day, the Sharks pulled through after a strong fight back late in the second half.

The match started well for the Western Province, with them spending the first 10 minutes in the Sharks half, putting them under a whole lot of pressure, but the defence of the men in black and white holding strong. The first bit of ball the Sharks got in the Province half, Paul Jordaan broke through after a few phases and ran 40m untouched to score under the poles. The Sharks had a seven point lead, albeit somewhat against the run of play.

After the try, Province continued their dominance in both the territory and possession stakes, with the Sharks made to defend for extended periods of the game. Province, after twice turning down shots at goal for attacking lineouts, finally got their reward with a maul going over and Tom Botha dotting it down.

The second Sharks try was also against the run of play, with a turnover enforced on half way and Reinach running 50m untouched to dive in under the poles. The Sharks were slowly getting into the game and Prinsloo got a difficult penalty shot to extend the lead to 12 points with 5 minutes left in the half.

The second half got off to a dour start, with play hovering around the half way and neither team looking like scoring any points. There were moments of brilliance on both sides, but nothing coming of it as a result of poor handling and decision making. Piet Lindeque came off with what looks like an ankle injury, being replaced by Jared Meyer in midfield.

The Sharks finally got the first points of the second half, Gouws Prinsloo converting a penalty from right in front of the poles. This came after a few phases in the Province 22m, just not able to break the defence and settling for the 3 points. This seemingly woke up WP, as they replied with their second try, again through the forwards.

Province scored the next try 15 minutes later, through replacement Grant Hattingh, which Kurt Coleman converted to reduce the WP deficit to 3 points with only 5 minutes to play. The Sharks managed to keep their hands on the ball for the final few minutes, ending the game with a Gouws Prinsloo penalty goal, stretching the lead to 6 points.

Tries: Paul Jordaan, Cobus Reinach
Conversions: Gouws Prinsloo (2/2)
Penalties: Gouws Prinsloo (3/3)

Western Province:
Tries: Tom Botha, A. Forward, Grant Hattingh
Conversions: Paul Cohen (0/2), Kurt Coleman (1/1)
Penalties: Paul Cohen (0/1)


  • Fantastic result for the under 21s. Well done boys.

  • Comment 1, posted at 01.10.11 16:26:24 by war1 Reply
  • Go Sharkies!! :mrgreen:

  • Comment 2, posted at 01.10.11 16:36:21 by JarsonX Reply
    Competition WinnerCompetition WinnerCompetition Winner
  • Great stuff! Well done young guns!

  • Comment 3, posted at 01.10.11 17:31:15 by Ben Reply
    Friend of Sharksworld Author
  • well done boys! a few of you prob should have played 80minutes later than u did

  • Comment 4, posted at 01.10.11 20:28:36 by RuckingFun Reply


Add Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.